Wednesday, August 9, 2017

A 15 Year Old gets a Lesson On Love...



9 August 2017

A 15 Year Old gets a Lesson On Love...
Hello JazzLovers


A Life Lesson at 15.

The Summer of my 15th year, I worked summers at the local Juke Joint in Acers Homes in Houston. My Mom was a friend of the owner and a regular there. I stocked the beer boxes and cleaned just to listen to the juke box. Even though I was not supposed to I also served in the evenings,( My Mom was there so in those days it was Ok.) That summer a man about 50 years old would come in as sit in a corner drinking beer and playing the blues. He would drink every night and go home at midnight. I somehow started him to talking to me when I served him, he was quiet yet very nice and polite. 
 
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV9oeKObJd4         Today I sing The Blues    Aretha Franklin
Finally he started to tell me his story. When he was 19 he go into some trouble with some of his wilder friends and went to prison for 30 years.. An older man (27) took him under his wing as his protector, as the years went by they became lovers, he said this was the only person that had ever touched him with kindness or tenderness. As time went on he opened up more to me and one day at the end of the summer we were alone in the bar, my mom had not come in yet and the owner Martha was working in the back. When I served him his beer, he asked me to sit for a minute. I was happy to because he was always so sad.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcO1xx3Mu_M      Someone to believe in. Randy Crawford
 

He began to tell me about this love and how it developed and how lone·ly and lost he was without him and that he was not adjusting to being out of prison, he only went to work to the bar and home, he had no friends everyone he knew was gone. My heart went out to him but at 15 I didn't know what to say so I gave him his next beer on the house. It was getting close to the end of the summer and the next week I was to return to Louisiana for school. I sat with him all that week when the bar was slow and listened to his stories. I really hated to say goodbye on my last night he gave me a cross ball pint pin that I still have.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbloxAgBCc            Just You Just Me  Ann Peepbles

I looked forward to the next summer hoping to see him and how he was doing. Monday I went to the U an I to get my job back and anticipated seeing him that evening but he did not show. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and the rest of the week he did not come. Saturday I asked Martha what had happened to him. She told me that the week after I left he broke into a place and waited for the police, was arrested and sent back to prison. I smiled. I understood. His Love was stronger than a freedom with no joy. I never forgot him and I never will. I do so hope his love was still there, I know they had stayed in touch through the mail.
 
So Many Men never know what it is Like to really be Loved.
I am so grateful for that lesson because I have known Love.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zamJkPhtCJk        I Just Love The Man    The Jones Girls
 
 
Well Jazzloves Until next time.
 
Keep The beat.
 
DW Jazzlover 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful yet sad story about life. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete